Go To Home Page

Tag Archives: Architecture & Films in India

  • Unique and Exceptional Facts about Customs and Traditions of India

    India has one of the oldest cultures in the world. Its civilization started about 4,500 years ago. Its culture is described as the first and the best culture in the world.

    Western societies failed to see the culture of India favorably. Early anthropologists considered this culture as a natural and evolutionary process. They said, “In India, everything was done to develop humans in their evolutionary growth.”

    Cultural Advancements

    India has made noteworthy advancements in architecture, mathematics, and medicine. Today, India is a country with more than 1.2 billion population. In India, there are many varieties of geographical topologies with their own unique cultures. India’s cultural tolerance has helped it to include many languages, arts, religions, sects, and a variety of food items.

    Here is an overview of some of the exceptional and unique facts about Indian culture.

    Religions in India

    India is found to be the birthplace for third and fourth largest religions in the world, the Hinduism and the Buddhism respectively. About 84 percent of the Indians are identified as Hindus. There are many variations in Hinduism, and there are four predominant sects in Hinduism such as Shaiva, Shakteya, Vaishnava and Smarta.

    hinduism-in-india Image Credit - Wikipedia

    Languages in India

    Many people living in India also write in Devanagari script. It is actually wrong to say that the majority of Indians speak Hindi. Only 41 percent of the populace speak Hindi in India and the remaining 59 percent of Indians speak other languages than Hindi. Tamil, Telugu, Marathi and Urdu are the other major languages spoken in India.

    devanagari-script-in-india Image Credit - Wikipedia

    Indian Cuisine

    Wheat, rice and various pulses are important staples of the Indian food. Usually, the Indian food is loaded with curries and spices such as coriander, turmeric, cardamom, cinnamon and peppers among others. Chutneys are very special items in all parts of India. These kinds of thick condiments and various spreads made up of fruits and vegetables like tomatoes, tamarind and mint are used liberally in Indian cooking.

    indian_cuisine_spicesArchitecture & Films

    The famous example of the excellence in architecture is the Taj Mahal. This was built by the famous Mughal emperor Shah Jahan out of his great love on Mumtaz, his third wife. This architectural wonder combines various creative elements from Islamic, Persian, Ottoman Turkish and Indian architectural styles.

    taj-mahal-in-india Image Credit - Wikipedia

    India is famous for its film industry. India’s movie history began in 1896 when the Lumiere brothers demonstrated the art of cinema in Mumbai. This film culture might be the extension of Indian theater traditions which span back more than 4,000 years.

    The themes of classical dance traditions such as Bharata Natyam, Kuchipudi, Kathak , Kathakali and Mohiniattam were drawn from mythological epics like Ramayana and Mahabharatha.

    Indian Fashion

    Indian clothing includes colorful saris worn by many of the Indian women. The clothing for men is the dhoti which is an unstitched white cloth that is tied between the waist and legs. Men will also wear a kurta, a loose shirt that is would fall up to the knee.

    dhoti-in-india Image Credit - Wikipedia

    Major Celebrations

    The country celebrates Diwali which is the largest celebration spread across India. It is a five-day celebration and is called ‘festival of lights’ as it symbolizes the inner light that protects them from spiritual darkness. Holi is the another important festival in India; it is a celebration of colors, and is called festival of love.

    diwali-in-india Image Credit - Wikipedia

1 Item(s)